LA Wholesale Produce and Mango Planting

I love to shop for produce in Los Angeles at the Los Angeles Wholesale Produce Market, besides the farmers market or foraging.

Also in this video, A trip out to a restaurant can seem tricky to some, I show how easy it is n encourage you all to start some seed planting πŸ™‚

enjoy!

Starting out today with a visit to “the cheesecake factory” to enjoy a dinner with some friends. Eating out is a as easy as you make it, I choose to eat some fresh rip whole juicy fruit beforehand so that I am sure to be satisfied, on that day I ate 5 oranges and 3 mangoes before I went. When the waiter came I told him that Although i may be a little difficult compared to some customers I will make it really easy. Instead of ordering a salad from the menu and saying no onion, no cheese no dressing etc, I simply asked for what I wanted. Could I please have a giant, huge salad of mixed greens, tons of tomato cucumber, 1/2 a avocado and some lemons on the side for dressing. It cam was easy delicious and only cost 8 bucks compared to everyone else spending 14 – 25 $ with drinks.

We have been sucking up a fair number of mangoes here in the Well’s house, even though they are hot water treated (another post and video will deal with this whole process and what it means) the seeds were still sprouting, I have actually started a tree from hot water mango seeds, showing their vitality. Armed with two seeds/pits I venture out into fertile ground here in Marina Del Rey hoping to create a fruitier future for all around. I believe food should be free, just like it has been for over 99% of our time here on earth. The more we plant and grow in our areas and all around us the closer this reality comes to being part of our experience again! Learn what grow in your area, how to plant it and start doing all you can to help create a sweeter juicier future for us all πŸ™‚

The first market I bring you to is the downtown “Central Market” between 3rd n 4th st on Broadway right downtown LA. This market has been here since 1917! It has a few different produce vendors with amazingly low prices for ripe produce, nearly all conventional and often 2nd or 3rd quality. If your hungry and right downtown, or need to pick up a bunch of produce quick downtown this is the place to go for deals πŸ™‚

Los Angeles has a beautiful and bustling Chinatown, between Broadway and Hill on College is one of my old favorite markets the “AI Hoa Supermarket”. I used to go here as often as I could for amazing deals on citrus as well as exotics you cant find around to often πŸ™‚Β

From cases of Thai coconuts for cheep to burro banana’s, cherimoya, longan, frozen jackfruit and frozen durian, there is much to enjoy.

By far the best deals are found at the “Los Angeles Wholesale Produce Market” on 8th and Central right in downtown LA. This is where all of the grocery stores, restaurants and little fruit trucks get all of their fresh produce. They are open Monday through Saturday from 1 am until 9 am excepting Saturday only till 7/8 am. There is literally 2-3 city blocks worth of giant produce vendors all selling their wares. By cutting out the middle man and buying by the case only you stand to save tons of cash. Come early walk around the whole place and find the best deals and your favorites.

Β By far my Favorite is just off the side of the main entrance, the “old Market” simply the oldest part of the market where the seconds and riper produce is sold for cheaper prices. I have gotten cases of ripe mangoes for 4 $, 35 lb. boxes of papaya for 8 $ and 40 lb. cases of organic bananas for 8 $ there.Β While Both the main market and the Old Market have conventional and organic, its spotty at best and only in a few select spots.

There is a fully organic wholesale market that I love called “Heath and LeJeune” It is by far my Favorite Wholesaler! They like you to call the night before to preorder your cases, You can also request a price list and ask for what is the best deal n in large quantity in the moment. 213 614 1909Β

If u go Say Hi to Nick Lejune for me!! πŸ™‚

Hope you enjoyed the blog today, much more to come!

Enjoy Much
peacelovenseasonalfruit ck

30 Comments

1. Jordan

Yo Bradda,

Those were some pretty sick moves on the Sk8! Damn good. That market looked amazing!

Cheers,

Jordan

2. ferd

places like this in LA are so awesome and necessary for a healthy affordable lifestyle and thats one of the things i miss about being there. living in north county san diego (carlsbad/oceanside) you just can’t find places like this. the only thing thats come close is the farmers market on saturday mornings. other than that trying to eat raw has been pretty expensive and too costly to keep up for me and my girlfriend. cool blog entry though on LA’s great wholesale joints πŸ™‚

• admin

WHile the wholesale market is a great spot, I have found through talking with your local produce managers you can get case discounts at about half the major grocers, as well with some hunting can learn where to get marked down ripe produce. Of Course buying what’s on sale and in season in our part of the world keeps the cost down too. A trip every once in a while to LA may be a option for you too, being within a hour away, its really all choice. The cost of health is never as expensive as sickness. Regardless of where I am in the world I find I can easily eat for between 5 – 15 bucks a day, more affordable than most lifestyles.

3. Alisah Johnson

well..i just knew it this time.is it cheaper to buy..wholesale?well..if that’s the case i would love to buy in that farmer’s market..and i wanted to buy there!

• admin

πŸ™‚ Always best in bulk, discount n assurance you got enough!! πŸ™‚ Oh my the wholesale market in LA is sweeeeeet!

4. Lee Cheng

Hi, I am planning to go to the produce mart this weekend and would like to know if you can give me some tips on the best time to go and where to start. I am looking to buy some asian fruits in particular.

Thanks!

• Banana Commander

Blessings Lee πŸ™‚
      The end of your message is cut off, I would love to help you in any way i can. I am not in La however to show you around, but if you like i can help you to meet with someone i know there πŸ™‚
      ck

5. Lee Cheng

I will try to conquer the market with my friends. What is the best time to get there? Also, do all of the vendors sell to individuals or are some exclusive to wholesalers?

Thanks for the help.

• Banana Commander

I would say the earlier the better. The trucks show up by 2 am, I usually went around 5 – 7 am, but no later than 9 many close down.
      πŸ™‚

6. mangomango

Where do you park? Inside the market? Do they let you in by car?

• Banana Commander

πŸ™‚ there is place to park inside the market indeed, they allow cars and bike n walking in πŸ™‚ ENjoy it tons! πŸ™‚

7. Jawz

Hey CK, thanks so much for this! Sooooo helpful! I’m loving my new raw food attitude! YYYYEAAHHH! I just came back from a run at the LA Wholesale Produce Market and Better Life Organics. I found the old market on 8th street, but didn’t find the great deals you did for ripe produce. Do you remember the names of the places that you went to? I did get tons of super-ultra-mega fresh veggies at decent prices (40 pound box of tomatoes for $5)! I feel I can do so much better there if I can get some more direction from you or maybe we can meet up there one day? Hope your time in Costa Rica went (or is going?) super amazingly awesome! Keep up the grrrrreat work man!

8. Tuan Le

Hi –

I have been searching for a wholesale tropic fruit in LA Produce area that sells Thai bananas. I appreciate any tips you can provide.

Thanks,
    Tuan

9. Jasvinder

Hi,

I am looking for durian wholesalers in LA area. Can anyone give me their company name and contact numbers please? I am a Malaysian and will like to discuss with LA wholesalers to try out our D24 or Musang King variety which is of excellent grade. We are distributor for a large durian farm in Malaysia.

Rgds

Jasvinder

• rawadv-admin

Blessings Jasvinder!! πŸ™‚

Feel Blessed to be able to Potentially help you get more sweet durian into LA, please let me know if it goes through, Id love to try some!! πŸ™‚

My Fave place Ive gone for some jackfruit and Durian is

Underwood & Wong Produce

1601 East Olympic Boulevard,

Los Angeles, CA,

United States

+1 213-627-1808
      Hope this Helps, Much Peacelovenseasonalfruit ck

Β

10. LAuren B.

@ Jasvinder

NA Trading (1345 South Herbert Avenue  Commerce, CA 90023) distributes "double deer head," CTF Brand durian from Thailand in 31 lb. cases.

My friends and I gather for Fruitlucks (Chris' influence, no doubt) biweekly, always with durian. What does it take to bring your durian in? Fans galore are here, ready to buy.

Thanks!

• BananaCommander

Aww Love love love it, thanks For sharing for sure!!! mmmmmmmm Enjoy the Durian n Fruitlicks!! Much PLSF ck

11. LAuren B.

Any peeps in LA wanna go to the market together? I'm close and always willing to accompany/help.

Also, join meetup.com/fruitluck – going on biweekly in your neighborhood!

Cheers!

• BananaCommander

So so so sweet, I wish I was there, hope u find a crew! πŸ™‚ Enjoy em!

12. Jasmine

can you tell me which vendor has jackfruit?

• BananaCommander

πŸ™‚ if you were coming from the main busy road that comes through the outside right of the two big rows of buildings (entering from the alemeda entance) you would turn left as u get to the oe left that would bringyou between the big rows n inside the main market. Go to the last row of buildings on the left, imagining it being the Last T intersection the shop at the upper left Quadrant of the “t” is it!! Hope this helps. Of course asking around a bit in that area would finalize, just in case they moved πŸ™‚

13. Linda

Hi,

I got the tangerine called "Temecula Tangerine" last year. Its a local small market but they closed the business this year.

Do you know where i can buy it?

• BananaCommander

Dang i wish i could help but im not farmiliar with that one!! Happy fruit hunting!! πŸ™‚

14. gwen

Thank you sooo much for this post. I'm new to raw and I'm new to LA, so this is a real life saver.

• BananaCommander

Blessed that it helps, for sure awesome awesome spots!!! Say hello to Nick from Heath and Ledjunes for me!! πŸ™‚

15. Dave Gregory

This was so helpful! Thank you! Me and my buddy are going raw.

16. Wayne

Aloha Brother,

Great work and thanks for doing what you're doing.

Any chance your in the area and wanna have a side kick with you at the la market? Been exploring frutarian lifestye for a while and ready to commit to the lifestyle.

Have a blessed day

healyourselfhealtheworld@gmail.com

wayne

• BananaCommander

Blessings Wayne πŸ™‚

Absolute pleasure, i do wish i could in honesty but I am no longer in LA n unsure when I will be back. I do know Robby Barbaro http://themindfuldiabetic.com lives in the area and frequents the markets, otherwise I would reccomend going n givin er πŸ™‚
      If I can share anything or help in anyway know I am always happy to n offer all my services by donation πŸ™‚

Much
      PeaceLovenSeasonalFruit ck

Β

17. SAMMY SEVEN

Can you tell me where to go to get ORganic banannas in bulk ?

In LA of course